Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway IV

Saturday, July 31, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning was excellent for paddling with a temp of around 80 degrees with fairly low humidity, clear skies and a 7 mph easterly breeze. I arrived and put in at Riverdoc's at 8:00 AM with a high water level and tide still rising. No sign of my gator buddy again.

So, with heading east into a slight headwind and against the rising current, my first leg down to Apalachee was relatively slow at 8:45. However, the return west with both a following wind and current sent me flying down past Riverdoc's to the Causeway culverts. Once past this area, with several morning fishermen along the side of the road, I pushed on to the Interstate bridge near the Exxon, against the current, but with the wind to my back. I stopped at the turnaround in 36:27, took a drink and headed back east. This time, I had a following current but a top wind/wave action in my face, until I passed the culverts and then everything was in my face again to Riverdoc's. Even so, I set a new PR of 56:20, mainly since it was not so obscenely hot and humid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home