Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway

Wednesday, July 7, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I decided to lengthen my speed course up to approximately five miles by extending the first turnaround from Blue Gill's further east down to the Apalachee River.

The temperature was around 90 degrees at 6:00 PM, when I put in. The wind picked up to about 15 knots out of the southwest. High tide was at 4:30, so it was just starting to fall. My gator friend met me at the put-in at the old Riverdoc's, and gave me another long look as I approached him. As I headed east, I stayed close to the south shoreline to stay out of the wind as much as possible, making it to the new turnaround in 7:58. The way back was slower, as I noticed my time was 17:10, when I passed Riverdoc's. As I got out into open water, the wind really hit me and it was torture to make it to the Exxon in 38:55. The return was swift but no less tiring, as I finished in 57:59. The wind and current made a big difference in time, with the return a whopping 2:44 faster.

Well, it will be almost two weeks before I get to paddle again. I am off to Sacramento this Friday to officiate at the Olympic Trials Track & Field Championships. See you at the Dog Paddle on the 24th!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home