Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway IX

Tuesday, August 24, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

There are so many different variables that affect performance and overall improvement, that it is sometimes hard to gauge how you are doing. But, one of the more important factors, even more so than current speed and direction, is the kayak you are using.

In that regard, I am now having to adjust time targets for my various set courses, as I just acquired a new faster kayak. So, I now have a new benchmark to gauge future performance.

I put in at Riverdoc's at 6:00 PM with the sky cloudy, 86 degrees, wind from the south and a falling tide. Since this was my very first time in the new kayak, it took me a little while to get used to it and get into a good rhythm. I reached the Apalachee in 7:10 and back past Riverdoc's in 15:10. It was a little more difficult heading into the wind towards the Causeway, where there were quite a number of fishermen looking on. I was pleased to see my turnaround time at the Exxon was a much faster 33:12. After a breather and drink, I hit it hard on the return and came in at a much faster 50:28. This is roughly 10% faster than what I would have paddled in my older kayak with the same effort, so therefore the new benchmark. My good gator buddy was waiting again for me with a smile at the Riverdoc's finish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home