Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway VIII

Saturday, August 21, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

What a difference the day and conditions make to affect performance. This morning brought out close to ideal conditions with a temperature of 78 degrees, no wind and a moderately falling tide. I started out at Riverdoc's at 8:00 AM and headed east towards Blue Gill's with water like glass, no activity at any of the establishments and not even any gators watching out for me. I made it to the Apalachee in 7:17 with the following current, turned and made it back to Riverdoc's in 17:18 against the current.

I continued on, past the Causeway with a few fishermen looking on as I came across my only gator buddy of the trip. The rest of the paddle west was with a following current and I hit the turnaround at 36:50. This seemed slow, but remembering the current flow, I was comfortable that with a strong paddle back, I could salvage a decent time. After a quick drink, I hit it back against the current to the Causeway and then had following current the rest of the way back. My finish time was 54:34, close to my PR of last week. So, again, its all about the current, as intermediate split times can be deceptive as to anticipating a finish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home