Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XI

Saturday, August 28, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning was an interesting contrast to my last several workout paddles on this course, in that the breeze came out of the north and the tide was rising which changes the dynamics and strategy for an overall successful time. The temperature at 7:30 AM was an already warm 84 degrees with a clear sky, when I put in at Riverdoc's. I had Pass Picada to myself as I headed east into the rising current. I made it to the Apalachee in 8:45 and as I passed Riverdoc's on the return, my time was a good 15:10, although a little slower than Thursday night.

I made very good time heading to the Causeway, where several fishermen looked on and nodded their heads as I flew past. I slowed somewhat from there, heading into the current on the rest of the way to my turnaround, but still hit a PR split of 30:14. With that uplifting realization and a good long drink, I started back and when I got past the Causeway, where the current changed to following, I really turned it on back to Riverdoc's and set another overall PR of 49:43. This was my first breakthrough of the 50 minute barrier, so it was particularly sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home