Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XIX

Thursday, September 30, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

My plan for this workout was to paddle at about 85-90% effort. I wanted to back off just a little bit to wind down preparation for the race next weekend. I arrived at the old Riverdoc's parking lot and put in around 5:30 PM. The temperature was still a hot 90 degrees with a little breeze out of the north and the tide still rising.

The water was pretty calm as I passed the restaurants and so with an easy pace, I made it to Apalachee in 8:21. I turned and with the tide following me westward, my split as I passed the parking lot was 15:18. I tried to keep my turnover easy and at a constant pace all the way to the turnaround between the Interstate bridges. The sun tucked itself behind a cloud and the temperature fell quite a bit. I arrived in 32:39 and still thought I was easing off a little.

I rested a minute, took a drink and headed back east. When I got close, there were a couple of kids throwing rocks at my good gator buddy. He was out of there range and just floated there smiling at them. I sprinted in the last 200 meters and finished in 50:01 which was kind of a shock. I felt very good, tried not to push it all out and I still finished in 50 minutes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home