Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XV

Thursday, September 9, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I had some company tonight, as Don brought his new kayak out for a first spin along the delta. We met at the old Riverdoc's and put in at 6:00 PM. The temperature was still hot at 90 degrees, with clear skies and a breeze out of the north again. We took off heading east past the live music on Blue Gill's deck and to the Apalachee turnaround. My time was a pretty quick 6:50 with a still falling tide. I waited for Don and made a few suggestions he could use to improve his stroke and keep him tracking straight.

We turned and headed back west, although Don decided to cut his paddle shorter than mine and stopped close to where the course comes up next to the Causeway. As I passed Riverdoc's, I glanced at my time of 14:50 and continued on to my turnaround between the Interstate bridges across from the Exxon. My time at the turn was 33:15, as I faced towards a great sunset. I kicked into an even higher gear on the return and made it back to Riverdoc's in 49:43 over the 5.2 miles. Don was hanging around and related his experience watching the sun set next to two lazy alligators, as I was furiously paddling towards him, off in the distance. We did see several gators, including my buddy who hangs out by Riverdoc's, as well as quite a good variety of birds. We will do it again sometime, hopefully next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home