Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XVIII

Thursday, September 23, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Near perfect conditions were in store for tonight's paddle with a temperature of 82 degrees, no wind and a slow moving falling current. There were a couple of people from the Museum of Mobile hanging around looking for fossils in the washed up sand after the hurricane.

I felt good and decided to go all out from the start as I headed down past the restaurants, making the Apalachee River in 6:45. I turned and pushed hard on the return and forgot to look at my watch as I passed the parking lot, but it was under 15:00, as I pushed on towards the Causeway. With no side current or wind, I was able to get into a good paddle rhythm as I approached the Causeway. A State Trooper was hanging out where there usually are several fishermen. He watched as I came in close to the highway as well as a gator hanging out by one of the buoy markers. The gator ducked under, but I will get to that later.

I made it to the turnaround in 31:49, and stopped briefly for a drink and got ready for a big push back to the finish. The trooper was still there, but later followed me to the parking lot. I sprinted the last quarter mile and finished in a new PR of 48:28. As I was getting out, the trooper pulled up and asked me about the course, speed, etc., and then said the gator came back up after I passed and followed me for awhile. I told him about my encounter with the gator who came up under my kayak and flipped me out, and he just shook his head and thought I was a little crazy, as he pulled back out onto the highway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home