Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXI

Sunday, October 3, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

With the big race now less than a week away, I am continuing to taper my workouts, so no more long hard weekend paddles. I put-in for a five mile speed workout at 6:40 AM with a temperature of 73 degrees and a strong falling tide. The wind was starting to pick up a little out of the northeast as my good gator buddy floated by heading east, out in the current.

As I headed east down Pass Picada, I was sheltered from the wind and hit a really good time at the turn in 6:19. I paid for it on the return, as I fought what seemed to be uphill, making it back past the parking lot in 9:41 for a total split of 16:00.

Once I got out into the open Chacaloochee Bay, I had to fight across the wind-induced rollers the rest of the way. There were several fishermen out at dawn along the Causeway as I passed by through the turbulence where the current changes directions. I made the turnaround between the Interstate bridges in 34:35, where I stopped for a water break. The return was more of the same fight with the rollers as I finished in a pretty good time of 51:13. My gator friend was waiting for me and smiled his approval.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home