Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXIII

Thursday, October 21, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I met Jim Chamberlain this afternoon at 5:05 PM at the old Riverdoc's lot for a paddle workout session. He wanted to see what it was all about and get in a good workout as well. There was no wind, partly cloudy skies, 84 degrees with a low tide that was just starting to rise. We followed my regular course eastward past the restaurants to the Apalachee. My first split was 7:01, while Jim turned around at Blue Gill's. As I passed the parking lot, my time was 14:47, heading into a beautiful sunset.

With the tide very low, I had to carefully follow the channel to stay out of the shallow areas on both sides along the Causeway. My time at the turnaround was 32:05. After a quick drink, I finished strong, finding Jim along the way heading back to the parking lot. He found a couple of friendly gators to hang out with while watching the sunset after getting in a pretty good workout of about three miles. My overall time was 49:19 which was satisfying, since it was my first timed workout following the Phatwater race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home