Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Whiskey Ditch

Friday, October 29, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This was a true Flash Paddle, as Bob called me at 1:00 PM to post the trip for 4:00 PM. I got to the old Riverdoc's parking lot at about 4:15 PM and rushed to get into the water and try to catch up. The temperature was a still hot 84 degrees, with a breeze out of the south, a high and still rising tide and clear sky.

I turned the first part of the paddle into a speed workout as I made it to the Apalachee River in 9:15 against the current. I turned north up the river and continued to paddle furiously to the entrance of Whiskey Ditch without seeing anyone so far. I continued about halfway into the ditch, when I finally caught up to Bob and Dennis, the photographer who is publishing a coffee table book of photographs of the river delta area.

We continued back to the pond, where Dennis set up to take pictures of the remaining burr marigolds. After we started back, he continued to take pictures along the way of the flowers as well as the invasive water hyacinths. Once we reached the Apalachee, I decided to continue my workout and sprinted ahead the rest of the way back. My time from the Apalachee back to the parking lot was 6:45 with the nice following current. It was a nice last minute paddle to get ready for the long paddles on Saturday to Horn Island.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home