Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Byrne's Lake IV

Sunday, November 14, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

With a lazy morning start, I decided to try Byrne's Lake to get some protection from the wind. When I arrived at the turnoff from Hwy. 225, I found the new paving project was essentially complete, except for the final 200 meters of topcoat at the entrance. The rest of the roadway back to the park boat ramp was completely paved and a welcome change from the ruts, mud and dust of the past.

The temperature at 10:00 AM was 63 degrees, the tide was almost bottomed out but still falling, with cloudy skies and wind out of the northwest again. I paddled my usual course, first upstream and then back down and out to the Tensaw River. With the water level very low, I had to make sure I stayed close to the center of the lake in order to stay out of the mud, stumps and treefalls. I made it to the mouth of the lake at the Tensaw in 20:56 and stopped for a drink. I thought seriously about lengthening the paddle to circle Gravine Island before returning, but decided to save that for another day.

The trip back upstream was slightly slower against the slight current. When I passed the ramp, there was a couple watching, so I really cranked up the pace as I passed by, before the return back. I finished in 42:46 with the help of the relatively cool temperature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home