Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XIII

Saturday, March 19, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning was almost perfect for a great paddle. At 7:00 AM, the temperature was 51 degrees, there was no wind, the water was like glass, the sky was partly cloudy and the water level was just past low tide and barely starting to rise.

This time I had my watch and was ready to hit the water for a tough workout. I started out at a fast pace towards the restaurants and passed a couple of fishing boats, who were working the shorelines. I made it to the Apalachee River turnaround in 8:15. On the return, with just a little help from the rising tide, I passed the parking lot in 15:45, on the way to the Causeway and Interstate bridges. With the water so low, I tried to stay in the narrow channel, but strayed into some shallow mudflats for a few strokes and probably lost a few seconds.

I made the turnaround under the Interstate in 32:31 and stopped a short time for a drink. I barely moved, so I knew the rising tide was still not affecting me alot. I turned around and hit it very hard on the return, and made it back to the lot in a total time of 51:46.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home