Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXII

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Although I have been training on the same course for over a year now, slightly different conditions make each workout session new and interesting. This afternoon, I arrived at the Riverdocs parking lot at 4:30 PM to find the bay water level still high, but not flooded into the lot. The temperature was 79 degrees with cloudy skies and a stiff breeze coming in out of the south. The tide was rising to go along with the south wind holding up the downward river flow.

I started out heading east and tried to tuck in along the south bank to avoid the wind, but the wind kept pushing me north into the middle of Pass Picada. I could definately feel the current, as I arrived at the Apalachee River turnaround in 8:25. As I started to head back, an airboat came in to Blue Gill's to let some people off after a tour up in the delta. My return with the current brought me back by the parking lot in 15:30, as I headed on towards the Causeway.

The wind picked up the chop considerably out in the open bay, but paddling into it from the side is quite different from heading straight into the waves or with them at your back. I made the turnaround under the Interstate bridges in 32:30. The return was similar as I pushed hard back to the parking lot, finishing in 50:44.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home