Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXV

Thursday, April 28, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Paddle conditions continue to vary somewhat every day on the lower delta. This afternoon, I arrived at around 5:15 PM, under clear skies and 72 degrees with a stiff breeze coming out of the southeast. The water level was high, lapping over the launch area and up into the parking lot, although the tide was starting to recede.

The wind pushed me around pretty good, but for some reason, didn't seem to kick up into very big waves. I sprinted down past the restaurants, a fishing boat and an airboat loading up at Blue Gill's. My split at the Apalachee was 7:49, not too impressive with the receding tide. I turned and came back past the parking lot in 15:45, on the way to the Causeway. I could hear the airboat coming up from behind me, but he turned north before getting too close.

With the water level way up, I decided to cut straight across the flats, instead of dropping down around the buoys next to the roadway and culvert. I made the Interstate bridges turn in 33:43 and tucked into the grasses, trying to get out of the wind.

I decided to go back the same way across the flats, while the water level was still high enough to get me over them without slowing down. It was still difficult angling into the wind, while being pushed further north and off-course. I made it back to the parking lot in 51:52, which was pretty good considering the difficult wind conditions.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger Manish Batra said…

    Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Patella Brace

    Keep Posting:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home