Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXVI

Saturday, April 30, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Today was a complete washout for our scheduled paddle on the Styx River, as it rained hard all morning and continued to sprinkle most of the afternoon. But, there was a small window late in the afternoon, so I quickly loaded up and headed for the Causeway around 5:00 PM. It was overcast, 72 degrees with the wind turned and coming out of the northwest. The tide was high, having just crested and starting to fall, with the bay lapping into the parking lot.

I started out with a little wind push from behind and headed towards the restaurants. There was a live band playing out on the deck at Blue Gill's, which had a crowd starting to arrive and hang out on the boardwalk, as I passed by. I made the Apalachee River turn in 7:25 and headed back again, this time into the wind, passing by the parking lot in 15:30.

Once out in the open part of the bay, the chop kicked up to about two feet, coming in diagonally. It was pretty hard slogging along, as I made it to the Interstate bridges in 33:43, and again hid in the grasses to stay out of the wind.

The return was just about as tough, as I was not able to surf like I wanted to. I made it back to the parking lot in 51:15, just before it started to rain again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home