Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXIX

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The wind and water conditions were about opposite what they were last week, as I put in at 4:45 PM at the old Riverdocs parking lot on the Causeway. The conditions were sunny, 82 degrees with a 10 mph breeze coming out of the south. The tide was falling, but the water level was high, as I started out east down Pass Picada. Interesting to me, were the low rollers coming west toward me, which were the residuals of rollers coming north up the Apalachee, that came all the way west along Pass Picada. They were not an issue as I passed several fishermen along the shore and a band setting up on Blue Gill's back deck. I made the Apalachee turn in 6:45.

The way back, was of course, slower going into the falling current, but with the rollers to my back. I passed the parking lot in 15:50 and headed straight across the mud flats towards the Interstate bridges. The chop out in the open bay wasn't very high, since the wind was coming out of the south, although it did push me further north than I intended. I made the bridges turnaround in 34:01 and stopped for a drink.

I also took the northerly route away from the Causeway on the way back, this time into the wind and waves. My overall finish time was 51:37.

When I passed the parking lot heading west, I saw someone I did not recognize, unloading a fiberglass kayak off of a pickup truck. When I finished up, he was already out in the water somewhere, maybe off to Whiskey Ditch. I checked his license plate which was from North Carolina, so I am not sure if he is a new transplant or someone just visiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home