Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXVII

Tuesday, May 3, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

It was another beautiful day with partly cloudy skies, 75 degrees at 5:00 PM and a brisk breeze coming down from the northwest. This time out, the water level was low, due mainly to a few days of northerly winds blowing water out of the bay. The tide was rising and close to the high point, which for today was not going to be very high.

I started out eastward down Pass Picada, against the tide flow, but with the wind to my back and made it to the Apalachee River in 7:50. On the return, I passed the parking lot in 15:30 and headed for the Causeway. The wind kicked up some one foot rollers, which I had to cross diagonally. With the water level so low, I had to stay within the channel buoys or risk getting into the mud flats. I made the Interstate Bridge turnaround in 32:52.

After a water break out of the wind, I pushed hard on the return, trying to use the waves to my advantage. It worked pretty well, as I finished up in 50:29, which was good considering the conditions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home