Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XLIII

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After spending several days in sunny Southern California, it was great to get back out on the water. My son, Brad, and I headed for the Causeway and put in at the normal spot. When we got there, a small 3' gator splashed into the water and hung around, watching us get ready. We put in at 5:26 PM under cloudy skies, 82 degrees, a southeast breeze, low water and rising tide.

We started out heading east on Pass Picada against the rising current and into the southeast breeze. It was a little harder slogging along past the restaurants, so I arrived at the Apalachee turnaround in 8:08, with Brad making it to Blue Gill's and turning there. On the way back, I caught up to him and went on ahead, passing the parking lot in 15:06. I continued past the Causeway and used the wind-driven chop to cruise into the bridge turnaround in 31:09.

After a short drink break and not seeing Brad anywhere in sight, I started back, this time into the wind. As I approached the parking lot again, I found Brad coming down from the north side of the bay, so we arrived at the same time. My overall time was 49:07 at a 9:55/mile pace. To top off the night we went home and dug into 25 pounds of crawfish, which we sat back and leisurely finished off with Linda, Misha and Bob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home