Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LII

Thursday, July 21, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This afternoon was stormy, but did not stop me from hitting the water. I drove through some pretty heavy rain on the way, which added a few inches of water to my cockpit. The one good thing about the rain was that it brought the temperature down from 95 to 78 degrees with no wind. The water level was pretty high with the tide falling and flowing pretty swiftly.

As I paddled down Pass Picada, there was quite an audience viewing from Cock of the Walk, shaking their heads as I passed by in the light rain, with lightening off in the distance. My time at the Apalachee River turn was 6:41 for a 6.9 mph pace and back past the parking lot in 15:43 at 5.2 mph. I fought the current to the Causeway culverts and had a following current the rest of the way to the bridge turn. My time at the turn was 32:48, with the water still flowing by rapidly.

On the return, the sky turned even darker off in the east, so it gave an me extra incentive to get back sooner. When I passed the culvert again, the current direction reversed again, giving me a push to finish, where I noticed my pace was up to 7.2 mph, finishing in a total of 49:48. My good gator buddy was smarter than I, as he decided not to show his face as I came back in to the finish area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home