Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LIII

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Due to a major thunderstorm this afternoon, I left my office later than usual to try and avoid the heavy rains. By the time I crossed the bay, the rain was gone and the water was like glass. I arrived at Riverdocs parking lot at around 6:00 PM with cloudy skies, no wind and the temperature a still high 86 degrees with stifling humidity. The water level was fairly low and the tide was barely moving at all, maybe just slightly falling, but not enough to even notice while paddling.

Since I was passing the restaurants closer to dinnertime, I had more spectators than usual, with several waving from out on the deck at Bluegill's. There were a couple of egrets standing around, but no gators to be found. I reached the Apalachee in 7:36 and back in 15:10 and on to the Causeway with still perfectly still water, even in front of the culvert. I pushed on to the bridges and got in underneath as soon as I could, to hide from what little sun was left. I reached the turnaround in 32:19 and stopped for a quick drink.

On the return, hit it hard and came in with a time of 50:12. There was a mother with two small children watching from the parking lot as I approached. I asked if they had seen any gators and proceeded to tell them about my buddy, who usually was there to greet me. So, they looked intently all around the bay to see if they could spot him, but never did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home