Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, July 04, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XLV

Monday, July 4, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After a long, hard hot paddle yesterday, I wanted to see how I would recover a day later on my normal workout course. So, I arrived at the old Riverdocs parking lot and put in at 6:40 AM. It was already a hot and humid 87 degrees, clear skies with absolutely no breeze and rising tide. My young gator buddy was there to greet me again, although I surprised him by coming early today.

I started heading east, looking right into the bright sun above the horizon on glass-like water. There was no activity along any of the restaurants yet, although I woke up several herons, egrets and a white ibis. I felt pretty good as I loosened out the sore muscles and made the Apalachee turn in 8:12. There was no boat traffic, so I stayed right in the middle of Pass Picada and used all of the rising current on the return and passed the parking lot in 15:15.

The rest of the paddle was pretty uneventful, with no fishermen along the Causeway and little going on this early 4th of July. I made the bridge turn in 31:56 and thought I would hit a pretty good time on the way back. But, the rising tide and the heat slowed me down a little and I came in to the parking lot in 50:04, not quite what I wanted for such good water conditions. If only it were a little cooler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home