Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LVIII

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After a day of traveling to New Orleans for meetings and back, I was ready for some relaxation on the water. Arriving later at 6:00 PM started to cut the heat down a little to about 80 degrees, with absolutely no breeze, a little patchy cloud cover, low water level and still falling.

My friendly gator pal was waiting patiently, as I pushed off and headed down Pass Picada with a following current. The restaurants were full as I passed going about 7 mph, hitting the Apalachee turn in 6:46. Of course, the way back west was slower, so I tried to stick close to the shore to stay out of the current, but still passed the startline in 8:22 at 5.6 mph for a split of 15:09. It was slow going on the way to the Causeway, but the water was like glass and easy to glide through.

Once I got near the bridges, I cut between them to pick up the falling current and picked up speed to 6.4 mph and a split of 32:39 at the turn. I took a quick drink and headed back home into the current. The last short leg after the current reversed again, gave me a big boost up to 6.8 mph, to give me a total time of 49:12 for an overall 6.1 mph average.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home