Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXII

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Just another summer night on the Delta! At 6:00 PM, it was still 92 degrees with high humidity at Riverdocs, no wind and a rising tide. It was so hot, no gator buddies would even poke their nose up into the steamy air! The water was like glass as I sped off down Pass Picada past the restaurants. No diners were out on the decks, as all were enjoying the view from behind air-conditioned picture windows.

I made the Apalachee River turn in 8:27 and with the current push on the return, back by the parking lot in 15:18. There were still glass-like conditions all the way past the Causeway and the lower section of Chacaloochee Bay, to the Interstate bridges. With the water level low, it was interesting, at least for me, to see the location of the current reversal moved about 300 meters west along the Causeway, down from the culverts. I am not sure about this phenomenon, but will ask Bob Andrews if he has noticed this in the past.

Even with the heat, I made good time, reaching the bridge turn in 31:22. I knew the return would be slower, due to a longer distance against the current than I was used to. So, I tried to work the last segment as hard as possible and made the finish in a good time of 49:35. It's all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home