Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Bay Minette Creek

Sunday, August 7, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Roland and I met at Buzbee's, before deciding to drive up to the Bromley bridge and put in on the upper end of Bay Minette Creek. It was 7:00 AM, still a little foggy, 76 degrees and calm. We put in, Roland in his K1 and I in my Glider, and took off downstream at a strong pace. The water was perfectly smooth, with no boat traffic to break up the glass-like conditions. Roland gradually continued to expand his lead over the first two miles, through the curvy sections. Once the channel widened and straightened out somewhat, I was able to maintain his same pace.

We paddled continuously to Buzbee's, arriving in 45:08. Roland finished approximately 45 seconds ahead of me as we covered 4.62 miles at a 6.2 mph pace. After a short pause, we started out on the return, again with a similarly strong pace. As we were heading upstream, our pace slowed to 5.5 mph and then 5.3 mph around the s-turns in the upper section. Our return trip took 50 minutes, with a total time of 1:35:03.

Before we loaded up, we decided to try out each others boats. Roland liked my ride, while I was like a new kid trying to ride a two-wheeler for the first time. I fell out twice before giving it up for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home