Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXIV

Thursday, September 1, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

My first post-Katrina Causeway workout paddle began at 5:30 PM under partly cloudy skies, 88 degrees, a northwesterly wind, medium pool level with the tide running out. Highway officials just opened the Causeway today as they quickly repaired and opened the bridge over Tensaw River. However, none of the restaurants or other businesses were open yet with still no electricity and alot of major cleanup and repair to do.

The one thing I noticed right away was the delta foliage weathered the storm magnificently. It is obvious the delta is designed and well used to routine major flooding, so it was no big deal. Not so for man-made structures. With only a gator watching me, I quickly raced down to the Apalachee in 6:52, and back by the parking lot in 15:27. Once into the open bay, the wind kicked up some chop which slowed me down as I worked along the Causeway on the way to the bridge turnaround in a slow 34:31. The return was faster with the help of the tide and wind, allowing me to finish in a total time of 51:53 and a 5.8 mph pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home