Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXIX

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Following the epic marathon workout on Sunday, I wanted to get out and stretch a little and get in a good tempo workout. At 5:45 PM, the temperature had cooled just a little to about 82 degrees under mostly clear skies and a southeasterly breeze. The water level was low, but still falling. I took off quickly to get warmed up and get a good start with the tide helping push me along a little. I made the Apalachee turn in 6:52, noticing a large gator hanging around near the northside shoreline.

We exchanged pleasantries and I took off westward, looking right into the sun and pulling hard against the current. I passed the parking lot in 15:15 and went for the Causeway. A couple of the regulars were fishing around the culvert as I passed on the way to the bridges. I got a little close to a shallow spot, which slowed me down for a few seconds, but recovered and made it to the turnaround in 33:10.

I wanted to try and make up for my error, but the wind was in my face on the way back, making it difficult to cut any time. I put in a valiant effort, but finished in hardfought 50:12. It was still a good followup to the long paddle on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home