Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXXIX

Sunday, October 30, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Just another perfect fall morning with a temperature of 48 degrees at 6:30 AM, no clouds, a slight northeasterly breeze, low water level and just starting to rise. The sun was just rising as I turned east down Pass Picada. There were some white ibis searching along the newly uncovered mud flats, while a couple of shore fishermen tried their luck near Drifter's. The cool weather start got me off in a sprint just to warm up a little, so I quickly reached the Apalachee in 7:26 and back in 15:19.

I had to be careful to stay in the channel on the way to the Causeway, to stay out of the shallows, and did so, passing a few fishermen working the culvert. There was a little confused water there, as I blew by on the way to the bridges. I also had to angle further north than usual in the lower Chacaloochee, to stay out of the shallows and then dip back to the bridges to the turnaround. The water was a little slower, so my split speed in this area dipped to 5.7 mph as I made the turn in 32:57.

The way back was a little faster with the rising tide in the first section, so I was able to maintain 6 mph and finish in 50:02. It felt great to be out on the water and able to enjoy such a beautiful fall morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home