Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXXVI

Sunday, October 23, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The cold front continued to roll in, thankfully pushing off Hurricane Wilma to the east with its northwesterly winds. This morning at 7:12 AM, back out in to open along the Causeway, the wind was up over 15 mph and kicking up a steady and tight chop out in Chacaloochee Bay. I knew it was not going to be pleasant or a particularly fast time, but I wanted to get in a little wind work and was up to the challenge.

Since I was out in the morning, the tide was heading out, giving me a push at the start and heading east into the rising sun over the bluffs of Spanish Fort. It was particularly stunning this morning as it broke over a slight cloud formation right at the horizon. There were several fishing boats out whizzing along Pass Picada, which did not seem to affect the already bothersome chop. I reached Apalachee in 6:45 and back past the parking lot in 16:00, so I knew I was in for a somewhat slower time.

The fishing boats continued to go by as I made my way past the confused culvert waters. The bay had a particularly tricky quartering chop, which did not make it easy to get into any kind of rhythm. I finally made the bridge turn in 34:41. I fought my way back and made the finish in 52:20 for an overall speed of 5.7 mph. The low 50's temperature and sunrise made up for the breeze, making the morning paddle still definately worth the time to get out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home