Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bay Minette Creek

Sunday, October 2, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The temperature and humidity were low this morning, ideal for paddling. As it was still breezy from out of the east, I opted for a mostly protected location and Bay Minette Creek was a good choice. I put in at 7:00 AM on cool water, flat and smooth as glass.

The trip downstream was beautiful as the sun rose to burn off the early morning misty haze hanging over the water. Once I reached the three mile mark (right at 30:03), the water opened up a little and the breeze started to stir up the surface. It actually helped push me along and my speed improved by 0.1 mph, as I passed Buzbee's and crossed under the Hwy 225 bridge. The five mile turnaround is out another quarter mile where the delta opens into Bay Minette Basin. I noticed my time at the turnaround was 49:40, while I took a long drink before heading back.

By this time, the wind was pushing me through the grass along the shoreline. I knew then, I was in for a much tougher slog on the way back upstream. Starting out, my speed was in the low 5's, which meant it could take me upwards to ten minutes longer than the trip down. But once the creek started to narrow again, protecting me from the wind, I was able to pick up speed again. My return time was slower at 54:42, for a total time of 1:44:22, but long forgotten as the paddle highlight came in the last mile. A bald eagle soared along above me, seeming to lead me on my course for awhile. It was quite an inspiration and motivator to pick up the pace just a little more back to the bridge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home