Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXXXI

Tuesday, November 8, 2005

With the time change back to standard time, the sun was setting as I put in and started at 4:50 PM. There was a south breeze, very low water level and a rapidly rising tide. As such, I had slow water heading east down Pass Picada, reaching the turn in 8:22. The Original Oyster House is now open, taking over the space formally occupied by Cock of the Walk. So, there were a few diners at the windows as I cruised by. The way back was, of course, much easier as I passed the parking lot in 15:10 and on to the Causeway lined with late afternoon fishermen.

I had to pick my course carefully, with the low water and through the confused drainage near the culverts under the highway. Out in Chacaloochee Bay, I got into a short shallow stretch that slowed me down briefly, but once I got under the bridge was able to speed back up to the turnaround in 32:13.

By starting out just a little earlier, there was enough glow left from the sunset to see well on the return. Coming back into the tide was a little slower, but I powered my way back in a total of 50:04 over the 5 mile course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home